phaedraseabolt

Identity Discovery

The Incredible Shrinking Bully - Mona Schmitt Children have so much to deal with in school that a bully should not be one of them. I hate the idea that there are bully's in school, but everyone has to learn to how to be who they really are. I think that everyone gets bullied at some point in their life and most people even act as the bully at some point. You may not even realize that it has happened until after it is over. This story gives you a way to talk to your children about how bullying occurs and how you can handle it.

Bullying makes you feel small, insignificant, and helpless. If you think of it in the other direction (which most kids don't), that means the bully feels bigger, important, and powerful. Bart is able to put this feeling into words and pictures to demonstrate to the reader what happens to both parties involved in bullying. Bart learns that he must take a stand against Frank and if he does it when everyone else is watching, they just may stand behind him. No one likes being in Bart's position, but if someone has the courage to stand up for what is right, others tend to follow. I loved the story and the simple art. The end of the book even provides you with questions you can talk to your kids about and help the mto identify if bullying occurs in their life and how to deal with it. Empower your kids! Teach them to be strong.