phaedraseabolt

Identity Discovery

Enchantment - Charlotte Abel What an unusual book for me to read. I honestly stay away from a lot of books that advertise that witches are the main characters. I don't know why, but this book seemed interesting to me right away. I guess it is because I once played a role playing game called Mage and I wanted to see if this was anything like that setting. It isn't but the link I had made in my mind was enough to leave me receptive to this story. And guess what? I couldn't put it down. I started it and finished it in less than 24 hours. I was feeling really sleepy and had no energy to play with my son, so I pretty much took him outside to play all day while I read. It was a wonderful read! My only complaint was that in the beginning of the book the Belks family dialog was in their native Arkansas tongue. That means that they sounded very uneducated and their grammar was terrible. I don't mean that to sound like that is how the people of Arkansas sound, so please don't take it that way. I just mean that the place where Channie's family came from in the story all spoke that way. They used "ain't" a lot which was a word my parents screamed at me for using. Interestingly enough, Channie actually was correcting her family's native speech in the beginning of the book because it bothered her as well. If you are an English teacher, you will probably struggle in the beginning of this book.

I absolutely loved how Channie comes into her cursed powers. I laughed a bunch every time her chastity curse came out to torment the lustful people around her. I also laughed at her ways with dealing with other girls' behavior towards her boyfriend. There are some very funny moments in the story. I fought it quite endearing how her boyfriend Josh takes everything in stride. He is willing to put up with so much pain just to be near Channie. He loves her instantly even though he has to deal with a LOT of PMS from her. When you read the story you will understand why she is PMSing all the time and it isn't just because her parents put a chastity curse on her, though that is enough for a teenage girl to be moody when she's in love. It seems that along with the curse her parents gave her, she is constantly being put under new curses from the mistakes her parents made. As a result, Josh is also cursed over and over again. You will laugh and want to cry as you see what the two of them must endure just to get their true love's kiss. It was a wonderful read.

I was left wanting to know what will happen next at the end of the story, but also felt a good sense of closure. However, there is an excerpt at the end for the next book in the series that will definitely leave you wanting more. I kind of wish I hadn't read the excerpt because now I really need to get the next book. Unfortunately I have a few others on my review list before I can get to that one.