phaedraseabolt

Identity Discovery

Bitten Shame - Olivia Hardin Only a short time ago, I read Witch Way Bends, the first book in this series. I actually thought the series would be focused on Devan all the way through, so I was pleasantly surprised that this story focused on Jill, Devan's best friend from college, now turned vampire. Jill had disappeared from Dean's life in college when Devan had started figuring out that her father's business dealt with trafficking children and that her boyfriend Robbie was in on it. Her mysterious disappearance led Devan to believe that Jill had an affair with Robbie. This was definitely not the case. We learn in this story that Jill was presented a business arrangement from Robbie that in effect would pay for her to finish college when at the time she didn't have enough money for even another semester. Jill was to be a "companion" to a man named Doc. She really didn't know what that meant for her job but she swore that there would be nothing physical to this relationship. It was also only to last a week.

A week of being with Doc stirred up feelings and desires Jill did not understand. She also was completely bored. Doc lived in an abandoned hospital in the middle of nowhere and there was absolutely nothing to do their and very little to eat. Doc mostly avoided her, so the money she was getting was pretty easy, but Jill found herself longing for Doc's attention. What finally broke the ice between them was when Jill started painting the rooms of the hospital. A bold thing to do in someone else's home. From their, friendship blossomed and Jill fell in love. What Jill only figured out later was that Doc was a vampire. You can take a guess at how Jill becomes a vampire, but what you will be surprised about is how she changes and how their relationship evolves.

The other part of this story is how in the present Jill and Devan travel to the Fairy Realm to meet Devan's father and long time best friend (in her head). The trip appears to be focused on Devan finding out about her true self, but you will find out that Jill has a pretty major role in this adventure. I won't say more because I don't want to spoil it. I will say it was a wonderful book. It was very well balanced at telling you what was happening in the present and what happened in the past. It was also very easy to switch between the time perspectives. I am definitely looking forward to the next book which I believe is going to be about Gerry, another member of their unusual group (came from the epilogue).

Read more reviews at Identity Discovery Blog.