phaedraseabolt

Identity Discovery

Maven Fairy Godmother: Through the Veil - Charlotte Henley Babb This story is all about Fairies and, of course, fairy godmothers. Maven is actually the name of the main character. She begins the story being at rock bottom. She has used up all her money on rent and her van is running out of gas. She has no job, not even a job prospect. She's been living on coffee, peanut butter, and crackers. She is still holding on to the last little bit of hope she has for finding a way out of her miserable life. She goes to the library to use their computers for job hunting only to discover a book on the art of making wishes. Inside the book is a dollar. This dollar is the catalyst for her entire life changing. Once she found that dollar, she gets a phone call on her dead cell phone about a job interview that she has no idea what the job actually is. The result is that she gets hired to become a fairy godmother and transported from the mundane world to the fairy realm. While training to become a fairy godmother, she discovers that the veil, the wall between the worlds, is coming apart. People have stopped believing in the traditional fairy tales. The fairy godmothers are to keep the old tales alive by maintaining the granting of wishes to further to story line in the direction they have always gone. Maven has trouble with this because she is not familiar with "every" fairy tale out there. She always doesn't like to grant wishes that she knows will not lead to what the person truly wants. She wants to give them what they really desire instead of granting a wish that may or may not be frivolous. A recurring theme in the story is Maven trying to figure out what everyone would actually wish for. What would a dragon wish for? What would an ogre wish for? The ultimate question though is, what will Maven wish for?

It's a unique story that I enjoyed, but had a hard time getting through quickly. My only complaint is about the formatting of the book. It could have just been my ARC copy, but the text was centered on the page and no real paragraph breaks. This drove my eyes crazy and made it a little hard to concentrate on. Otherwise, I enjoyed the plot.

Read more reviews at Identity Discovery Blog.