phaedraseabolt

Identity Discovery

Nate Rocks the Boat - Karen Pokras Toz This young adult story is all about Nathan Rockledge. I was slightly confused when I started reading because this actually is the second book in the series. I didn't realize that until I got to the end. I am sure my initial confusion would never have existed if I had actually started with Nate Rocks the World.

That said, this story focuses on Nathan's overnight summer camp experience. Normally he would attend a day camp with his two best friends, but this summer has some family issues (not 100% sure what) that has caused his parents to put him over night camp. Nathan is not happy about it, but at least is able to get one of his friends to go with him. Reading about their summer makes me think that Nathan doesn't really enjoy this camp very much. However at the end he indicates that he just might want to go the next year as well.

What makes this story interesting, and at times confusing, is that any time you give Nathan a piece of paper and something to write with he becomes Nate Rocks. Nate Rocks is his super hero alter ego. The transition between the characters is so seamless when he becomes Nate Rocks that you actually think the events are really happening. Someone always comes around to shake him out of his daydreaming, until the one time they don't. Nathan and Nate are both capable of doing some amazing things that only a ten year old boy would dream of. It's a cute story.

Read more reviews at Identity Discovery Blog.