phaedraseabolt

Identity Discovery

Veiled Mist - Eleanor T Beaty,  Jon Breakfield (Editor),  Designed by Rock Mallory This is a very different book from the long list of books I have read. I have never read any stories about gypsies, but the paranormal and magical element of this caught my attention. I am glad that I read it too! Hannah is a spoiled rich brat living on the island of Maurray. She comes from a weird family situation. She was told her mother died upon her birth, which resulted in her being given to her father to be raised. Her family has married another woman and they have a son named John. Since they are rich, there is also a maid/cook by the name of Vani in the house. Her grandparents (father's parents) are both very much involved in the family and also live on the island. What is so weird about the family is that her parents seem to be like good friends and never appear to be in love. Actually they seem miserable with each other as far as love is concerned, but for some reason will not even consider a divorce. Both are pretty much absent from their children's lives leaving the real raising to be done by the grandparents.

In raising Hannah, her grandmother Elizabeth has put so many stories in her head about how terrible gypsies are that you have to wonder where this prejudice comes from. Her grandfather has never contradicted the stories other than to say that Elizabeth is going a little overboard. All of this is about to come back to haunt everyone though. A week before Hannah's 16th birthday she starts having weird dreams about being a gypsy and even finds herself dressed/smelling like one at random intervals of the day. To top it off, her mother's doll, which she has loved and cared for her entire life, has been broken. The doll becomes priority number one as she prepares for the day. Luckily for her a new antique doll store literally was constructed and opened over night. This is where Hannah's life will change forever. She meets Ornella, a "good" gypsy who's only goal in life is to find gypsy descendants and help them through their changes to become a member of the tribe. She really has a lot of work for her to change a spoiled brat into a caring and selfless person. She also has to undo 16 years of prejudice while breaking a spell put on her by an evil warlock set to destroy the tribe. What will become of Hannah? Will Ornella succeed in showing her that not all gypsies are smelly, dirty, evil, children stealers? Will Ornella succeed before the evil spell on Hannah literally kills her on her 16th birthday? And what will happen to the doll? You'll have to read to find out more.

Read more reviews at Identity Discovery Blog.